Education Working Party
ESID Summer School
ESID SUMMER SCHOOL for Primary Immunodeficiency Diseases
EDUCATION PARTNERS IN 2015
The ESID 2015 Summer School was a huge success!
Read what our participants and faculty had to say about the event:
- “Amazing days! Being invigorated and rejuvenated by the enthusiasm and desire to learn from young people is a unique feeling that should help you deal with work everyday and a natural boost to progress!” (Eleonora Gambineri, Italy)
- "This has been again a very stimulating and lively summer school with a great group of clinicians and scientists interested in PID - a very memorable event that was helped by the friendly and relaxed atmosphere" (Georg Hollander, UK)
- “The ESID Summer School was an amazing learning experience that allowed me to share ideas and knowledge with worldwide experts in the field of primary immunodeficiencies (PID). I strongly recommend these meetings which promote networking between professionals from different countries, in order to achieve better diagnosis and management of patients with PID.” (Vanessa Daza, Italy)
- “The ESID Summer School 2015 was an unforgettable experience! We students were protagonists of the school. We presented case reports all day and discussed them with world-renowned clinicians and researchers in the PID field. The high level of interaction between students and mentors helped improve my knowledge, critical thinking ability and enthusiasm for the field of PID. I strongly recommend it to all young PID physicians and researchers.” (Bianca Tesi, Sweden)
- “The ESID Summer School 2015 was a great personal and professional experience for me. It’s also been a great opportunity to get to know colleagues from all over the world, enabling exchange between different countries and hospitals. It’s been an invaluable experience in my development as a physician caring for children with PID.”(Benedikt Spielberger, Germany)
- "Since I applied for ESID Summer School 2015, I had certain expectations; focused lectures, distinguished professors, young fellow immunologists... However, now that I'm an ESID Summer School graduate! I can truly say IT WAS A LIFE CHANGING EXPERIENCE! The very friendly atmosphere, the absolutely dedicated faculty attending to all our non-stop questions (no matter how silly or basic they were sometimes!) and constantly encouraging us for more! The well-orchestrated organization way before the school started, and of course the carefully selected venue, everything was way more than I expected! The amount of knowledge based on years of experience I gained from faculty members and the networking I maid were simply invaluable. I already started putting it into use at home and I'm already encouraging my young colleagues to apply to the coming schools hoping they share the same great experience that I was fortunate enough to have!" (Radwa Al Kady, Egypt)
- “The best educational event I have ever attended. Very clinically orientated. Congratulation for the Faculty and organizing Committee.” (Jelena Rascon, Romania)
- “The school was excellent - I loved the case-based approach and lively discussions. At first it was a little intimidating to be "forced" to talk but gradually everyone relaxed and it was lovely to see the whole group being active. Mentors did great job in moderating the discussion. I also made many good contacts that will be useful for both parties in the future. The atmosphere was very warm and it was great to meet people from different backgrounds.” (Emma Haapaniemi, Finland)
- “An amazing collection of great minds with highly intensive knowledge sharing and networking in the beautiful and exquisite landscape of Italy. I wish I have more time to be in that wonderfully intellectual environment.” (Ali Adli, Malaysia)
View the final report here
An even more interactive format will be the novelty of this year and communicated in due time. Educational Working Party Chairperson Eleonora Gambineri and Peter Olbrich as the ESID Junior representative, together with Andrew Cant, Mirjam van der Burg, Steve Holland and Klaus Warnatz will be some of the names appearing in the Summer School faculty.
Accelerate Your Career
If you are working on a career in primary immunodeficiencies, whether in the clinic, the lab, or a combination, this will be an excellent opportunity to update your knowledge from teachers at the forefront of PIDs, hear about the latest diagnostic tools, and learn from leaders in the field who see and manage patients with the whole spectrum of primary immunodeficiency, while also networking and socialising with your colleagues.
A little scoop ...
The detailed 2017 Summer School programme will be finalized at a later stage but as ESID member you will receive web mails with updates and more detailed information on a regular basis.
The Green Park Resort Tirrenia is at the heart of the Tuscan seaboard, along 10 km of splendid coastline, a location that is surrounded entirely in nature and an excellent hub for visiting all of the nearby Italian cities, the beautiful hills, and the enchanting islands of the Tuscan archipelago.
Pisa, just a few short kilometres away, offers a wealth of art and events, such as Giugno Pisano (June in Pisa), which have become annual attractions for anyone seeking art, history, and ancient traditions that animate the region to this day Livorno, also a short drive away, is another must-see location - click here for more information
Each year the Society selects between 30 and 35 ESID Junior Members (Attention: age will not be an absolute limit) based on their background and interest in PID.
For successful applicants ESID will cover accommodation and meals. Incoming travel and personal expenses are not covered.
The online application procedure is fully automated; applications in any other form are not accepted!
What we need from you is:
• Be a current ESID junior member
(Attention: Age will not be a limit to be eligible for application; preference will be given to people in training for PID who have not yet attended a Summer School in Australia/USA/EU)
• If you are not an ESID member, you can become one now! Rates for Juniors are EUR 50 for 2 year membership.
Kindly click here
(NB: please apply in due time since verification of membership can take a couple of working days)
• Curriculum Vitae
and a list of publications and/or meeting presentations
• Proof that you hold no permanent position in the field
• Personalized letter of support
from your Head of Department or similar (please note that we only accept 1 applicant supported per head of department)
• Statement of career goals
(typewritten, max. 500 words) and why attendance at this meeting will benefit
your career now and in the future
• Case of PID
(or suspected PID) that is educational and not just “tricky” (max. 3 PowerPoint slides)!
• A complete application that is submitted before the deadline (March 16, 2015, 12.00 noon CET)
Deadline for applications
In case of technical problems, questions concering your ESID membership or any other issues, kindly contact us at
ESID 2015 SUMMER SCHOOL EDUCATION PARTNERS